Prachuap Khiri Khan is a province located in the central region of Thailand, boasting scenic views and a laid-back vibe that attracts tourists from all over the world. However, there is one hidden gem in Prachuap Khiri Khan that often goes overlooked: Khao Chong Krachok. In this article, we’ll explore what makes Khao Chong Krachok so special and why it’s worth a visit.
What is Khao Chong Krachok?
Khao Chong Krachok is a small hill located in Prachuap Khiri Khan that offers stunning panoramic views of the surrounding area. It’s known for its unique rock formations, which resemble a reclining Buddha, and its peaceful atmosphere.
The History of Khao Chong Krachok
Khao Chong Krachok has a rich history dating back to the Ayutthaya period, when it was used as a military fortress to defend against foreign invaders. During the reign of King Rama V, it was used as a royal residence for the king’s children. Today, it’s a popular destination for both locals and tourists alike.
What to Expect at Khao Chong Krachok
One of the main attractions at Khao Chong Krachok is the hike up the hill. The trail is well-maintained and relatively easy, taking approximately 15-20 minutes to reach the top. Along the way, visitors can take in the lush greenery and the occasional monkey sighting.
The view from the top of Khao Chong Krachok is truly breathtaking. Visitors can see the entire town of Prachuap Khiri Khan, as well as the Gulf of Thailand. It’s the perfect spot to take in the sunrise or sunset.
The Rock Formations
As mentioned earlier, Khao Chong Krachok is known for its unique rock formations. The reclining Buddha rock formation is the most famous, but there are also other interesting formations to discover.
At the base of the hill, visitors will find a small temple dedicated to the reclining Buddha. It’s a peaceful and serene spot to take a break and reflect.
How to Get There
Khao Chong Krachok is located approximately 5 kilometers from the town center of Prachuap Khiri Khan. The easiest way to get there is by taxi or tuk-tuk. There is also a local songthaew that runs from the town center to the base of the hill.
Tips for Visiting Khao Chong Krachok
- Wear comfortable shoes for the hike up the hill.
- Bring water and sunscreen.
- Respect the temple and remove your shoes before entering.
- Watch out for monkeys and other wildlife.
Khao Chong Krachok may be a hidden gem in Prachuap Khiri Khan, but it’s definitely worth a visit. From the stunning views to the unique rock formations, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. So, next time you’re in Prachuap Khiri Khan, be sure to add Khao Chong Krachok to your itinerary.
Book your Thailand transport Online
- Is there an entrance fee for Khao Chong Krachok? No, there is no entrance fee for Khao Chong Krachok.
- How long does it take to hike up Khao Chong Krachok? The hike takes approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Are there any restaurants or cafes near Khao Chong Krachok? There are a few small restaurants and cafes near the base of the hill.
- Can you visit Khao Chong Krachok at any time of day? Yes, visitors can visit Khao Chong Krachok at any time of day, but sunrise and sunset are the most popular times.
- Is Khao Chong Krachok suitable for children? Yes, Khao Chong Krachok is suitable for children, but parents should watch out for the monkeys and make sure their children are careful on the hike up the hill.