If you are looking for a tropical paradise, Koh Chang Island in Trat province should be on your list. With its pristine beaches, lush forests, and crystal-clear waters, Koh Chang Island offers a perfect getaway for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. In this article, we will take a closer look at the natural wonders of Koh Chang Island, its attractions, and activities, and provide you with practical tips for planning your trip.
Koh Chang Island is the second-largest island in Thailand and is part of the Mu Koh Chang National Park. The island is located in the Gulf of Thailand and is famous for its natural beauty, abundant marine life, and waterfalls. Koh Chang Island is easily accessible by boat or plane, and visitors can enjoy a range of activities, including snorkeling, diving, hiking, and exploring the island’s traditional fishing villages.
Getting to Koh Chang Island
To get to Koh Chang Island, you can take a flight from Bangkok to Trat, and then take a ferry or speedboat to the island. Alternatively, you can take a direct bus from Bangkok to the ferry terminal in Trat, and then take a ferry to the island. The journey takes approximately 5-6 hours, depending on the mode of transportation.
Accommodation on Koh Chang Island
Koh Chang Island has a wide range of accommodation options to suit every budget, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly guesthouses. Most of the accommodation options are located along the island’s western coast, where the beaches are located.
Attractions on Koh Chang Island
Koh Chang Island has some of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand, with crystal-clear waters and pristine white sand. Some of the most popular beaches on the island include:
- White Sand Beach: This is the longest and most popular beach on the island. It is a great spot for swimming, sunbathing, and watching the sunset.
- Klong Prao Beach: This beach is known for its calm waters and is perfect for families with children.
- Kai Bae Beach: This is a quiet and peaceful beach, ideal for relaxing and enjoying the scenery.
Koh Chang Island has several waterfalls that are worth a visit. Some of the most popular waterfalls on the island include:
- Klong Plu Waterfall: This is the most popular waterfall on the island and is located in the western part of the island. It is a 3-tier waterfall with a natural pool at the base, perfect for swimming.
- Than Mayom Waterfall: This is a small waterfall located in the southern part of the island. It is surrounded by lush forest and is a great spot for picnics and relaxation.
Koh Chang Island is famous for its abundant marine life and is a popular spot for snorkeling and diving. Visitors can explore the island’s coral reefs and see a variety of marine species, including colorful fish, sea turtles, and even sharks. Some of the best spots for snorkeling and diving on the island include:
- Koh Rang National Park: This is a marine park located off the southern coast of Koh Chang Island. It is home to a variety of marine species and has some of the best snorkeling and diving spots on the island.
- Hin Luk Bat: This is a popular dive site located off the western coast of the island. It is known for its coral reefs and underwater rock formations.
Activities on Koh Chang Island
In addition to its natural attractions, Koh Chang Island offers a range of activities for visitors to enjoy. Some of the most popular activities on the island include:
- Hiking: Visitors can explore the island’s lush forests and see a variety of wildlife, including monkeys
- and tropical birds. The island has several hiking trails that range from easy to challenging.
- Kayaking: Visitors can rent kayaks and explore the island’s coastline and mangrove forests.
- Fishing: Koh Chang Island has several traditional fishing villages, where visitors can learn about the island’s fishing culture and even try their hand at fishing.
- Island hopping: Visitors can take a boat tour and explore the nearby islands, such as Koh Mak and Koh Kood.
Practical Tips for Visiting Koh Chang Island
- Plan your trip during the dry season, which runs from November to April, to avoid the monsoon season.
- Bring mosquito repellent and sunblock, as the island can get quite hot and humid.
- Be respectful of the local culture and customs, and dress appropriately when visiting temples or traditional villages.
- Take precautions when swimming or snorkeling, and always follow the advice of local authorities.
Koh Chang Island is a tropical paradise that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and adventure. With its pristine beaches, lush forests, and abundant marine life, the island is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Whether you want to relax on the beach, hike through the forest, or explore the marine life, Koh Chang Island has something for everyone.
Book your Thailand transport Online
- What is the best time to visit Koh Chang Island? The best time to visit Koh Chang Island is during the dry season, which runs from November to April.
- What are the best beaches on Koh Chang Island? Some of the best beaches on Koh Chang Island include White Sand Beach, Klong Prao Beach, and Kai Bae Beach.
- What are the most popular activities on Koh Chang Island? The most popular activities on Koh Chang Island include hiking, kayaking, fishing, and island hopping.
- Can I go snorkeling or diving on Koh Chang Island? Yes, Koh Chang Island has several spots for snorkeling and diving, including Koh Rang National Park and Hin Luk Bat.
- Are there any traditional fishing villages on Koh Chang Island? Yes, Koh Chang Island has several traditional fishing villages that visitors can explore and learn about the island’s fishing culture.