If you’re planning a trip to Ang Thong, Thailand, don’t forget to visit Wat Pa Mok Worawihan. This temple is one of the most significant Buddhist temples in the region, and it’s renowned for its magnificent architecture, serene ambiance, and rich history. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at this temple, its history, significance, and what makes it a must-visit destination for tourists and locals alike.
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is a renowned Buddhist temple located in Ang Thong, Thailand. The temple is famous for its stunning architecture and serene ambiance. It’s a place of worship, meditation, and contemplation for Buddhist monks and devotees from all over Thailand.
2. History of Wat Pa Mok Worawihan
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan has a rich history dating back to the Ayutthaya period, over 500 years ago. The temple was founded by Phra Sangkharat, a revered Buddhist monk, who was renowned for his teachings on meditation and mindfulness. Phra Sangkharat founded the temple to provide a peaceful sanctuary for Buddhist monks and devotees to practice meditation and contemplation.
Over the years, the temple has undergone many renovations and restorations, but its significance and importance have remained unchanged. Today, Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is one of the most important Buddhist temples in Ang Thong, and it’s visited by tourists and locals alike.
3. Architecture of Wat Pa Mok Worawihan
The temple’s architecture is one of its most striking features. The main hall is an imposing structure, adorned with intricate carvings, colorful mosaics, and golden Buddha statues. The temple’s walls are covered in murals depicting scenes from the life of the Buddha, and the ceiling is painted with colorful mandalas.
The temple also has several other buildings, including a bell tower, a library, and several meditation halls. Each building has its unique architectural style, and together they create a harmonious and serene ambiance that’s conducive to meditation and contemplation.
4. Significance of Wat Pa Mok Worawihan
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is a significant temple in Thailand, and it’s revered for its role in promoting mindfulness and meditation. The temple hosts several meditation retreats throughout the year, and it’s a popular destination for Buddhist monks and devotees looking to deepen their spiritual practice.
Apart from its spiritual significance, the temple is also an important cultural landmark in Ang Thong. It’s a place where visitors can learn about Thai culture, history, and traditions.
5. Location and how to get there
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is located in Ang Thong province, about 100 km north of Bangkok. The temple is easily accessible by car, bus, or train. If you’re driving, take Highway 1 from Bangkok to Ayutthaya, and then follow signs to Ang Thong. If you’re taking the bus or train, you can get off at Ang Thong town and take a taxi or tuk-tuk to the temple.
6. Best time to visit
The best time to visit Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is during the dry season, from November to February. During this time, the weather is cool and pleasant, making it ideal for sightseeing and meditation. The temple can get crowded during weekends and holidays, so try to visit on a weekday if possible.
7. Dress code and other essential tips
When visiting Wat Pa Mok Worawihan, it’s important to dress modestly and respectfully. Visitors should wear clothing that covers their shoulders and knees, and remove their shoes before entering any buildings on the temple grounds.
Visitors should also be mindful of their behavior and avoid loud noises, smoking, or any other activities that may disturb the peace and tranquility of the temple.
8. Things to do and see at Wat Pa Mok Worawihan
There are several things to do and see at Wat Pa Mok Worawihan, including:
- Admire the temple’s stunning architecture and intricate carvings
- Explore the murals and paintings that adorn the walls of the temple
- Attend a meditation retreat or session at one of the temple’s meditation halls
- Learn about Thai culture and history by visiting the temple’s library and museum
- Take a walk around the temple grounds and enjoy the serene ambiance
- Take part in traditional Buddhist ceremonies and rituals
9. Meditation at Wat Pa Mok Worawihan
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is a popular destination for meditation enthusiasts. The temple offers several meditation retreats throughout the year, ranging from one-day sessions to month-long retreats.
The retreats are led by experienced meditation teachers and are designed to help participants deepen their mindfulness practice and cultivate inner peace and tranquility.
10. Food and Accommodation
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan does not offer accommodation for visitors, but there are several guesthouses and hotels in the nearby town of Ang Thong. Visitors can also find plenty of restaurants and street food vendors in the town, serving a variety of delicious Thai dishes.
Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in Buddhist culture and spirituality. The temple’s stunning architecture, serene ambiance, and rich history make it a unique and unforgettable experience. Whether you’re looking to deepen your meditation practice, learn about Thai culture, or simply enjoy the peaceful surroundings, Wat Pa Mok Worawihan is the perfect place to do so.
Book your Thailand transport Online
- Can anyone attend the meditation retreats at Wat Pa Mok Worawihan?
- Yes, anyone can attend the meditation retreats at the temple, regardless of their level of experience or background.
- Is there an entrance fee to visit Wat Pa Mok Worawihan?
- No, there is no entrance fee to visit the temple, but donations are appreciated.
- Can visitors take photographs inside the temple?
- Yes, visitors can take photographs inside the temple, but they should be respectful of others and avoid using flash.
- Are there any guided tours of the temple available?
- Yes, the temple offers guided tours for visitors who want to learn more about its history and significance.
- Can visitors buy souvenirs at Wat Pa Mok Worawihan?
- Yes, there is a small gift shop at the temple where visitors can buy souvenirs and other items.